Our furnaces may keep us warm during the winter months, but did you know they may also be kicking off carbon monoxide? Here’s what you need to know to stay safe.

Buying a home? Click here to perform a full home search
Selling a home? Click here for a FREE Home Price Evaluation
Call me at 518-861-7016 for a FREE home buying or selling consultation

Before I delve into today’s topic, I’d like to begin with a special message. Thanksgiving is upon us and I want to take a moment to say thank you. I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate your support, which has made us the No. 3 real estate team in New York state. Your experience and satisfaction is of the utmost importance to me.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, we’ve reached the time of year when people are beginning to turn on their heating systems. Furnaces may keep us warm, but they can also pose a hazard related to today’s subject: carbon monoxide. If a system is malfunctioning, it could be spewing carbon monoxide into your home.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can be put off by gas stoves, furnaces, or any other appliances in your home that use gas or oil.

It seems like there isn’t a year that goes by that I don’t hear about an injury or death having occurred as a result of just this.

So, if you don’t already have a carbon monoxide detector, get one. They cost just about $29 and you can find them at Home Depot, Walmart, and any other similar stores. This small expense is well worth it.


You cannot detect carbon monoxide without a detector, and breathing in high levels can kill you or cause you to become seriously ill.

I believe in the importance of this so strongly that if you can’t afford a carbon monoxide detector, reach out to me and I will buy one for you.

I hope you have a safe and happy holiday season.

If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.